Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tax on Soda?

I just saw a link on Yahoo! saying the government is proposing a tax on SODA to help curb obesity. It's being talked about in Kansas and has officially been proposed in CA and PA.

Uhh... Are you kidding me?

The number one thing is: No tax is going to do anything about obesity -- except make the government more obese. (Seriously government, you're too big -- you should lose some weight!) This is an excuse!

All kinds of "studies" have been cited to indicate that this can work. However, people can setup studies to make them show virtually whatever they want them to show.

I have a question though: At what point did it become the government's job to solve problems?
Seriously. Now I'm pretty young, and that's been one of government's roles longer than I've been around, but why?

I would like to elect a representative who's platform mostly involves sitting on his hands. What would happen if they all just sat on their hands for a while instead of doing stuff? I mean, go play golf [more] or something. Just stop legislating.

No comments:

Post a Comment